Loving Your Space
As you know February 14th is Valentine’s Day and as we focus on the many loves in our lives I want to ask you do you love your space? Do you dread it when the doorbell rings? Do you find that you spend more time away from home because you don’t want to deal with the clutter? If you answered yes then following are 5 suggestions on items you need to get rid of so you can love your space.
- Get rid of stuff you will never use again-In 2015 I had surgery and with most surgeries they send you home with stuff. One of those items was a device I had to use several times a day to ensure that I used all the muscles in my stomach when I was breathing. Well that was 2 years ago and I will not have that surgery again and if for some reason I do need surgery again I will get another device. What are you holding onto? College text books you have not touched since you took your finals. Whatever it is get rid of it.
- Get rid of stuff you hate. You probably have lots of items in your home you don’t like and may even hate. I recently went through all the photos saved in envelopes. I discard all the ones that were blurred, had a finger in the shot or suffered water damage. I had so many other photos that I love that by tossing those few allowed me to appreciate those that I kept.
- Get rid of stuff from the past. Ok by now you have heard the story that I finally donated my prom dress when I was 30 years old which was about 12 years after I wore it once. What are you still holding onto? Items from ex’s you have not seen in years? Basic information from a company you no longer work for? Toys from your childhood? Think about removing those items and how much space you will create for things you love.
- Get rid of stuff you don’t have time for. Do you function as if you have more than 24 hours in a day and can do it all? You are not alone but the reality is that with work, family obligations and other activities you barely have time for one hobby let alone more than that. Take a realistic look at your time and how much you can allocate to each hobby. Those activities you know you don’t have time for consider donating those supplies. When I finally was honest with myself after years of holding onto craft supplies I gave what I had left to friends who had the time to work on projects and created more space in my home and life.
- Get rid of stuff that does not belong to you. I recently talked about this in my presentation at the Philly Home Show. We have items in our home ranging from others people’s mail to stuff we no longer want but friends or family want but never seem to have the time to pick it up. My suggestions are as follows….
- If you receive mail that does not belong to you return it to the post office
- Provide people with a 30 day deadline to remove items that belong to them from your space
- Provide people with a 30 day deadline to remove items that you were going to donate that they wanted from your space.
Take time this month to do one thing so when you return home clutter will no longer be the first thing you see.
Have you decided it is time you fall in love with your space after reading this blog? If yes I would love for you to share how you are going to make it happen. What are you doing to get rid of to fall in love with your space? Please leave a comment below. Invest in yourself in 2017 by joining me in my Private Group- Get My Life Totally Organized so I can help you conquer your clutter, get organized and live an organized life.