Ready Set GO! Get Organized
The month of January has been designated as Get Organized Month, so in this brand New Year what do you want to organize? A drawer, a room or your life? Recently in an interview a reporter asked me what are the trouble spots when it comes to organizing? It was hard to narrow the list down to 5 but following are my responses with strategies to help you tackle these areas and get organized.
- The entrance-the shoes, coats and other stuff we drop at the front door as soon as we enter the home.
- Purchase a shoe rack to keep shoes organized and off the floor.
- Purge the coat closet so there is room to hang the outerwear the family uses.
- Use hooks or a stand to place handbags, totes, backpacks.
- Hang up coats, don’t put them on the back of chairs.
- The papers-piled on the counter, coffee table, dining room table, desk in your home office
- Toss the junk mail immediately.
- Purge filing cabinet of information and files that can be discarded.
- Go paperless.
- Schedule time weekly to manage paperwork.
- The bedroom-clothes everywhere but the closet
- Purge and get rid of what you don’t need.
- Make sure you have enough hangers so everything gets hung. Use slim hangers to maximize space.
- Discipline yourself to put clothes away after they come out the dryer.
- If you take something out the closet or drawer and decide not to wear it put it back and don’t lay it on the bed or toss it on a chair.
- The drawer-full of junk.
- Designated what will be stored in the drawer. Kitchen utensils, craft supplies, home office supplies.
- Use drawer organizers to keep items organized and accessible.
- Break the habit of shoving items in the drawers when you need to clear the counter or the top of your desk.
- If you take something out of the drawer put it back. This will keep your surfaces clutter-free and the next time you need to use an item you can find it the first time you look.
- The kitchen-clutter countertops and cabinets
- Clear the counter top of items and appliances not used regularly.
- Organize and purge drawers to ensure that you do not have duplicates taking up valuable space.
- Organize and purge cabinets of items you are not using.
- Each time you shop for groceries place recently purchase items behind items currently on the shelf to ensure everything gets used.
What is on your organizing to-do list? I would love for you to share. Please leave a comment below. Invest in yourself in 2017 by joining me in my Private Group- Get My Life Totally Organized so I can help you conquer your clutter, get organized and live an organized life.